Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Being a Singleton on Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day or - as myself and my fellow singletons call this hallmark holiday - Happy Single's Awareness Day (S.A.D.)! 

(Courtesy of PictureQuotes.com)

February 14th has become either the most romantic of holidays or the most dreaded day, especially for those without a significant other. But it hasn't always been like this. In grade school, we all made Valentine's cards and gave out candy to all the kids in our class. In middle school and high school, it was all about cute teddy bears and chocolates from Godiva (not that I would know). Come college, it's about thinking outside the box and doing something creative. An "adult" Valentine's celebration is imagined as a fancy dinner date on the town to a restaurant that fills up before the end of January.  

For those who have not spent a Valentine's Day with a significant other, it can sometimes be frustrating to think that you don't have one while many of your friends do. You think Why don't I have a boyfriend/girlfriend and Why can't I seem to get into a relationship and when I do, there's always some sort of catch? 

Don't wanna be all be myself! (Courtesy of HerCampus.com)

But you mustn't think this way fellow singletons. As much as you would want to indulge in dark chocolate truffles and a bottle of red wine, do it for you; do it for the fact that you are single and proud. Do it for you feeling independent and strong. Just because you don't have a BAE doesn't mean you cry all day. 

A personal Valentine's tradition of mine is to celebrate the love of my friends and family. My forever Valentine will always be my mom; she has been my number one fan since day one (literally). I thank her each and every day that I have a mom as caring and thoughtful as she is - even when she is overprotective. So shout out to all the Valentine's out there, whether it's your S.O. or your best friend! 

And a happy February 14th! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm BACK!

 Hey guys!  I know it's been a minute (who I am kidding, two years) since my last post! But I am announcing that PKPK is back and better...